Mint State Uncirculated Sussex Chichester Conder 1/2 penny token coin.
Catalog: Sussex, Chichester D&H 15.
Certified by NGC to MS 63 BN.
Dark toned with significant underlying colorful luster (difficult to image).
Obverse: Front facing view of Queen Elizabeth I holding scepter wearing fancy bodice, QUEEN ELIZABETH.
Reverse: View of Chichester Cross, CHICHESTER HALFPENNY / 1794
Edge: PAYABLE AT DALLYS CHICHESTER
Chichester Cross stands in the center of the city of Chichester, England at the intersection of the four principal streets. According to the inscription upon it, this cross was built by Edward Story, the bishop of Chichester from 1477 to 1503; but little is known for certain and the style and ornaments of the building suggest that it may be referred to the time of Edward IV. It was built so that the poor people should have somewhere to sell their wares. An earlier wooden cross had been erected on the same site by Bishop Rede (1369-1385). The stone cross was repaired during the reign of Charles II, and at the expense of the Duke of Richmond, in 1746 and stands to this day.
The Market Cross is constructed of Caen stone, one of the most favoured building materials of the age. The cross' form is octangular, having a strong butment at each angle, surmounted with pinnacles. On each of its faces is an entrance through a pointed arch, ornamented with crockets and a finial. Above this, on four of its sides, is a tablet, to commemorate its reparation in the reign of Charles II. Above each tablet is a dial, exhibiting the hour to each of the three principal streets; the fourth being excluded from this advantage by standing at an angle. In the centre is a large circular column, the basement of which forms a seat: into this column is inserted a number of groinings, which, spreading from the centre, form the roof beautifully moulded. The central column appears to continue through the roof, and is supported without by eight flying buttresses, which rest on the several corners of the building.