Skip to content
- Extremely Fine Emperor Caracalla Roman Empire silver denarius coin.
- Commemorative type issued 204 CE during joint reign with his father, Septimius Severus.
- Foss 30, RIC 74a (rated R2).
- Certified by NGC to XF.
- Rare historic issue minted during the celebration of the Secular Games in 204 CE with honors to Bacchus and Hercules, sacrifices, games, and a donative.
- Obverse: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate bust of emperor as boy.
- Reverse: COS LVDOS SAECVL FEC, Bacchus on left, standing right holding cup and thyrsus; facing him Hercules on right, standing left, holding club and lion-skin; at feet of Bacchus a panther.
- Bacchus was the Roman god of agriculture, wine and fertility copied from the Greek god. His plants were vines and twirling ivy.