Skip to content
- Emperor Caracalla Roman Empire silver denarius coin.
- Silver, approx. 19mm, 3.62g (very heavy flan), RSC 23, RIC 124b, Foss 21.
- Certified by NGC to Ch XF, attractive patina with some underlying luster.
- Historic & commemorative type issued to celebrate Caracalla's marriage to Plautilla, Foss dates to 202 CE (See Roman Historical Coins).
- The Imperial couple are nicely detailed & depicted together clasping hands.
- Obverse: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, cuirassed, draped bust of emperor facing right.
- Reverse: CONCORDIA FELIX, Caracalla on right wearing robes, standing left, holding roll & Plautilla on left standing right, the couple clasping their right hand.
- The reverse type legend states a "happy concord" between the Imperial couple. Sadly after the death of Septimius Severus, 211 CE, Caracalla had Plautilla murdered .