Skip to content
- Choice Extremely Fine dated Marcus Aurelius Roman Empire denarius coin.
- 18mm, 3.12g, Issued Dec 168 to Dec 169, RIC 206, RSC 412, Foss 40 (dates to 169 CE).
- Imperial titles, TRP XXIII, IMP V correspond with Dec 168 to Dec 169 CE.
- Superb portrait of the philosopher Emperor Marcus Aurelius.
- Historic 5th Donative Emission cited by Foss for the Emperor's departure for border wars.
- Certified by NGC to Ch XF.
- Obverse: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXIII, laureate bust right.
- Reverse: LIBERAL AVG V COS III, Liberalitas standing left, holding coin dispenser and cornucopia.
- Liberalitas was the virtue of giving freely (from liber, "free"), hence generosity. On coins the personification of Liberalitas would be depicted as displaying largess to the Roman people.